In an effort to start incorporating a healthy breakfast into my morning routine, I’m sharing one of my favorite morning recipes that takes less than 15 minutes to throw together: Coconut Milk Oatmeal. Oatmeal used to be the sort of thing I would never reach for in the morning, but upon discovering all the fun things you can do with it, it’s becoming a weekly staple on my grocery list!
Blueberries are my favorite, and I love coconut ANYTHING (Coco likes coconuts, shocking) — so incorporating them into my breakfast is only the best thing ever. Give the recipe below a try if you’re looking to switch up your breakfast routine!
- ½ cup water
- ½ 14-ounce can unsweetened low-fat coconut milk
- 1- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (or any other sweetener, according to your taste preference)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup quick-cooking steel-cut oats
- ¼ teaspoon culinary lavender
- ½ cup blueberries
- Combine the water, coconut milk, agave nectar and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the oatmeal and bring back to a low boil. Allow to simmer for approx. 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half of the blueberries, cover, and allow to simmer until the oats are cooked and the mixture is uniform and smooth. Avoid crushing the berries while stirring.
- Crush and stir in the lavender and remaining blueberries. Turn off the heat, return the lid and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Bon Appetit!